What is the Role of the Company Secretary?
A company secretary is more than just filing documents or doing the fundamental duties of a standard secretary in a firm. In today’s world, a company secretary serves as more of a consultant to the corporation than merely an administrator.
Here are the 5 qualities a good company secretary should have:
1. Qualification of company secretary
The company that you want to hire shall have at least one of the qualifications below:
– A chartered accountant who is a professional accountant certified by the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA).
– A member of the chartered secretary in the Malaysian Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (MAICSA).
– A person who has been granted a license by Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM).
2. Good understanding and experience in company law
A company secretary should be well-versed in the Malaysia Companies Act 2016 as well as all annual requirements. If the company does not submit an annual report or filing, the company will be penalized. The company secretary must guarantee that the company follows the rules.
3. Good communication skills
The corporate secretary is responsible for organizing Annual General Meetings (AGMs) and board meetings, as well as serving as a communication channel between directors and shareholders. As a result, the secretary must have strong communication skills to communicate with them. Due to their extensive understanding of regulations and regulatory frameworks, as well as the firm’s internal governance, corporate secretaries also function as useful advisors.
4. Good organization and administrative skills
The corporate secretary is in charge of the majority of the firm’s formal paperwork and registers. She or he is the company’s bookkeeper, responsible for all filing matters and also for filing any statutory modifications and amendments to the capital share structure.
5. Personal qualities
The corporate secretary should contain the following personal qualities as a person and a top administrative officer of the organization: